Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chloe's Boots


I'm trying something new, as of two days ago. I'm going to make some sort of "art" every day, if I feel like it, and post the results of my effort. I'm intentionally keeping the pressure on myself to produce as low as possible, but I do have a goal. The urge to make art again has been growing for weeks, and is accompanied by a sense of restlessness I haven't been able to shake. I need something I'm not getting from books, movies, music, or other people's art. I have been looking for my own art, and not finding it, I guess. The only chance I have of satisfying this craving is to give art a try again. As I have examined the specificity of this craving, I find that I know what I need to do, for a change. I am usually clueless about where I'm trying to go with my art. I hesitate to say too much about what I'm looking for at this early point, but I want my images to evoke a sense of vertigo and flight. I want a fully saturated range of shades from dark to light. I want mystery, rough texture and earthiness. I want enough realism to allow the viewer to believe in the space to some extent, and to be comfortable with any figures I may represent, but it needs to be loose enough to evoke a sense of things being slightly out of control, wild, and unreal. I don't want to get bogged down with my choice of subject matter or emotional tone. I'll leave that wide open for play. My mentors for the moment will be Francesco Goya, Guy Anderson, George Tooker, Edwin Ushiro, and Hayao Miyazaki. Let's see where that takes me. I'll keep posting my efforts.

The work I did yesterday was practice. I was practicing my observation skills and getting my hands dirty again for the first time in ages. Don't take it too seriously.

No comments: